Exciting news for families in Florida – have you heard that soon you will be able to buy diapers tax free in Florida??
Since 1998, the Florida Legislature has approved a Back to School Sales Tax Weekend (or week) for parents to save money on back-to-school shopping including uniforms, backpacks, and other school supplies. This year, parents in Florida can again take advantage of the 14 day sales tax weekend AND also save with permanent tax breaks on diapers, baby gear, and clothing for children under 5. We all know from experience that having babies and raising kids can be expensive, so this provides some financial relief for new parents and families with toddlers and young children.
These sales tax exemptions are all part of HB 7063, a tax relief proposal passed by the Florida Legislature in 2023 and are considered permanent beginning July 1, 2023 unless repealed by the legislature in the future.
Sales Tax Savings for Parents
Tax Free Diapers in Florida
Florida will have a permanent sales tax exemption on the retail sale of children’s diapers, including single-use diapers, reusable diapers, and reusable diaper inserts, as well as baby wipes.
Tax Free Children’s Clothing
Florida will have a permanent sales tax exemption on the retail sale of baby and toddler clothing and shoes, primarily intended for children age 5 or younger (sizes 5T and smaller and shoes 13T and smaller). The exemption does not include watches, watchbands, jewelry, umbrellas, or handkerchiefs.
For clothing intended for children older than 5 and teenagers, you can save during the 14 day back to school sales tax holiday in Florida.
Tax Free Baby Gear
Items that will also be exempt from sales tax in Florida going forward:
- Baby cribs, including baby playpens and baby play yards
- Baby strollers
- Baby safety gates
- Baby monitors
- Child safety cabinet locks and latches and electrical socket covers
- Bicycle child carrier seats and trailers designed for carrying young children, including any adaptors and accessories for these seats and trailers
- Baby exercisers, jumpers, bouncer seats and swings
- Breast pumps, bottle sterilizers, baby bottles and nipples, pacifiers, and teething rings
- Changing tables and changing pads
More information and a full list of items for each tax free holiday can be found on the Department of Revenue website.
Florida Tax-Free Weeks
This year you can also save during these 2023 Florida sales tax weekends and weeks:
- Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holidays: May 27 – June 9, 2023 AND August 26 – September 8, 2023 (Hurricane supplies, pet supplies)
- Freedom Summer Sales Tax Holiday: May 29 – September 4, 2023 (Tickets to live events, outdoor gear)
- Back to School Tax Free Weeks: July 24 – August 6, 2023 AND January 1 – 14, 2024 (Clothing, school supplies)
- Tool Time Sales Tax Holiday: September 2 – 8, 2023 (Tools commonly used by skilled trade workers)