The 2020 SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo has been tentatively postponed until May 5-10, and they will make a final determination on their ability to do so no later than April 17th.
We are already starting to hear the sound of planes flying over Lakeland, marking the start of the annual SUN ‘n FUN International Fly-In & Expo. Beginning Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Lakeland will host approximately 200,000 guests, volunteers, sponsors, performers, and exhibitors over 6 days at the 2nd largest fly-in event in the world, held right here in Lakeland. Whether you are a pilot, aviation enthusiast, or just looking for a fun family-friendly event, SUN ‘n FUN has something for everyone.
SUN ‘n FUN is also the perfect way to introduce children to the world of aviation. You can view more than 4,500 aircraft from homebuilts to warbirds on the 1,000 acre SUN ‘n FUN campus, attend kids workshops, play in the KidZone, tour the Aerospace Discovery at Florida Air Museum, and catch special events such as the Flight to Honor, afternoon Air Shows, Saturday morning hot air balloon launch, nighttime Air Shows Wednesday and Saturday, and MUCH MORE!
Many of you have likely watched the airshows from the side of the road near the airport, but if you’ve never been inside the gates of SUN ‘n FUN you are missing out on the MANY other features of this great annual event. Make this the year you check it out!
Fun Fact: During the week of SUN ‘n FUN the Lakeland Airport becomes the world’s busiest airport with over 14,000 aircraft operations with-in the span of a week.
It can be daunting to take kids to a new event, or any event that covers a large area, is mostly outside in the sun, and requires a commitment of a good part of the day, but with our handy tips below, you’ll be a pro before you even hit the entry gates!
Helpful Tips & Admission Info
- Slather on the sunscreen – while there are vendors and exhibits indoors in the hangars, much of the event is outside in the sun.
- Wear comfy clothes and walking shoes – you will be outside most of the day, walking on dirt, grass, and concrete.
- Check out the SUN ‘n FUN map so you know what you might like to see – copies are available on-site as well
- Stroller – the planes and exhibits cover a very large area. If you wouldn’t go to a theme park without a stroller, don’t go to SUN ‘n FUN without one either!
- Backpack – backpacks are allowed, and are always the best way to carry gear when you need your hands free to keep track of the kiddos
- Chairs, blankets, etc. – if you want to sit down and watch the airshow, you might like to have a blanket or chairs instead of sitting on the ground.
- Earplugs or noise canceling headphones if you have little ones with ears that need protecting – some of the airshow planes get LOUD!
READER TIP: One Lakeland Mom reader says “Sunscreen, snacks, earplugs or other noise help if you are going for airshows, a lot of it is dirt so comfy clothes and shoes that can get messed up. It’s hot and dirty but lots of fun!!”
- Coolers, outside food & drinks – there are plenty of food and drink vendors inside the event
- Bicycles, hoverboards, skates, strap on skate shoes, golf carts, skateboards, kids scooters
Parking for SUN ‘n FUN is located off W. Pipkin Road. Shuttles to and from Lakeland Linder Regional Airport Terminal will no longer be available. Use 4175 Medulla Rd, Lakeland, FL 33811 (MAP IT) to get directions to the general area, and then follow signage or directions by traffic control officers as there are multiple entrances to the parking lots. CLICK HERE for additional info on getting there.
PARKING – $10/day or $40/week. Preferred parking available for $25.
READER TIP: One Lakeland Mom reader says to be sure you make a note or photo where you parked your car. Will make it much easier to remember at the end of the day!
- Adult Admission Daily: $39.00
- Youth (7-17) Admission Daily: $18.00
- 6 & Under are FREE!
- After 5pm Daily – Admission is only $10 for Adults & Youth (7-17). Ages 6 & Under get in free every day.
- Discounts available for Certified Pilots, Members of Florida Air Museum, Aviation Member Organizations and Active U.S. Military – click here for prices
Florida Resident Deals for Saturday & Sunday:
(Must show some form of Florida ID or Drivers License at ticket window to redeem)
- Purchase Saturday & Receive Sunday Admission for No Charge – Cost is $39 Adults / $18 Youth (7-17)
- Sunday Admission Only: $30 for Adults / $10 Youth (11-17)
- 6 & Under are free every day
- Youth (7-17) Admission Weekly: $60.00
- Adult Admission Weekly: $150.00
SUN ‘n FUN Activities for Kids
Grades K-6 will be introduced to the creative side of science. Explore kites, windsocks, parachutes, foam airplanes and paper airplanes or experience an art project on paper or your face. Try out a PC or a full motion flight simulator. Climb aboard and let your spirit fly in a real airplane or helicopter.
Grades 7-12 will have the opportunity to work with engines, electrical circuits, weather, wave forms, rocketry, construction skills, and robotics. Try out a PC flight simulator. Climb aboard and let your spirit fly in a real airplane or helicopter.
Check out the Aviation-themed Kid Zone and Mobile Mountain at SUN ‘n FUN. Inflatables, zip line, games and more!
Kid Zone Pricing
BEST DEAL: Ride Inflatables All Day for $20
Single Ticket Pricing: 1 ticket for $1 | 26 tickets for $20 | 60 tickets for $40
Ride Ticket Requirements: Quad Jump – 10 / Rock Wall – 5 / Space Shuttle Slide – 2 / UFO Bouncer – 2 / Obstacle Course – 2 / Wall-E – 2 / Combat Trainer – 5 /
Aerospace Discovery at The Florida Air Museum, Florida’s “Official Aviation Museum and Education Center” features a dynamic display of the best examples aviation has to offer including one-of-a-kind designs, classics, ultra-lights, antiques and war-birds. Walk through this Center for Aviation Excellence hosting exhibitors, lecturers, and authors. Explore interactive learning workshops featuring a wind tunnel, ham radio, and a hurricane station. See the new presentation of artifacts from our Howard Hughes aviation collection.
SUN ‘n FUN offers tours to college, K-12 school, home school, church, family, and scouting groups. Supported by Polk State College. During these tours, students, teachers, and chaperones have the opportunity to see one of the largest aviation events in the world. Our interactive walking tour may include flying aircraft demonstrations, historic aircraft, forums, high-tech ultralight and light sport aircraft, warbird airplanes, a museum visit and more. Pre-registration with advance ticket purchase is required. Book your tour by calling 863-904-4073. Click here for more details.
Get up close and personal with thousands of planes – from homebuilt planes to warbirds, every year there are new aircraft on display. Some of the planes on site are open for you to walk through or climb aboard. Kids will love seeing the controls up close and personal and meeting real pilots!
SUN ‘n FUN Family-Friendly Special Events
SUN ‘n FUN hosts a daily airshow every afternoon– click here for the full schedule. The planes performing each day vary but the week includes the SOCOM Para-Commandos, Warbirds, F-16’s and many other talented pilots.
This year the Blue Angels will perform the finale of the Daily Airshows on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday beginning at approximately at 4-4:30 PM.
Tuesday, Wednesday – 1:30pm – 5:00pm
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday – 1:00pm – 5:15pm
Preferred Airshow Seating – this area is located on the flightline in front of the SUN ‘n FUN Announcer’s Stand. You will have access to seating, bathrooms, some shade (not all areas are shaded), bag storage and free water all day. Purchase allows for all day access to the Preferred Seating Area. Only $20 daily, children 7 and under are free. Click here to purchase online. (This cost is in addition to your entrance ticket)
When the skies go dark, the planes light up! Catch an amazing night air show on Wednesday and Saturday, including a drone light show. A video from dusk at last year’s night airshow is included below.
Wednesday – 7:30 – 10:00pm
Saturday – 7:30 – 10:30pm – ending with FIREWORKS!
The Hot Air Balloon Launch happens Saturday morning between 6:30-8:00am (typically at 7am, weather permitting)