Blueberry picking has become an annual tradition in our house – every spring we make at least one trip (sometimes more) to a local blueberry farm and load up our buckets with delicious blueberries to take home and eat. Blueberry picking season in Central Florida runs from mid-March through May.
U-Pick Blueberry Farms are abundant Polk County, and unlike U-Pick Strawberries that are mostly in other counties, you can find quite a few blueberry farms near you. Our list includes local farms in Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, Auburndale, Dundee, Polk City, Lake Wales, and Eagle Lake.
Blueberry picking is a great family-friendly outdoor activity for toddlers, kids, and teens. The berries grow on bushes anywhere from 3′-5′ tall, so they are easy for little ones to reach, and ripe berries come off the branch easily. You can pick fresh fruit yourself, and many farms also offer pre-picked blueberries and other fruit and vegetables for purchase. A few even have an orange or peach orchard on site!
Don’t miss our Blueberry Picking Tips at the bottom of this post. We can also help find Strawberry Picking Near You (January – March) and Peach Picking Near You (April – May). We also have a list of U-Pick Sunflower Farms for April-June/September-October, and Pumpkin Patches in October. If you’re looking for fresh produce, there are also numerous Farmers Markets happening weekly around Polk County, you can find them all in our Farmers Market Guide.
While we do our best to keep up with who is open, dates and times change on a day to day basis and farms open depending on weather. We STRONGLY suggest you check websites/Facebook or call ahead the day of your visit to confirm availability, prices, and hours. Even if our list says a farm is open, check before you go! We also may have missed an opening announcement, so if you have a favorite farm, check to see if they are open.
**Many farms are only open for a few days each year, and some close by early May. We will not be updating this list with closing dates, check the links for each farm to see updates on their Facebook page**
Open in 2022:
Keel Farms – Opening April 8
Lonesome Oak – Opening April 2
Luna Berry Farms – Opening April 7
James Farm – Opening April 23
Late Bloom – Opening April 20
Oponay Farms – Opening April 9
S & S Micro Farm – Opening April 9
The Berry Patch – Opening April 30
True Blue Winery – Opening April 4
Whispering Hearts Family Farm – Opening April 23
Blues Berry Farm – Opening April 28
Whitehead’s – Opening April 6
Shady Oak Farm – Curbside pick up only in April/May
Southern Hill Farms (this farm is not in Polk County, but they have other activities and we’ve heard it is worth the drive!)
No Updates Yet for 2022 – check back:
Central Florida Blueberries
Parish Family Farm – will have U-Pick if fruit is available after the commercial season
Ridge Island Groves
Not Opening in 2022: Kirkland Farms
Permanently Closed: C&W Farms • Five Star Family Growers • Crown Jewel • Futch Farms
We update this section every 1-2 weeks – check links to each farm for the most up-to-date info.
Jump to: Map – Blueberry Picking Near You
Blueberry Picking in Polk County – Farms Open in 2022
Whitehead’s Blueberry Farm
Whitehead’s Blueberry Farm in Winter Haven offers locally grown, fresh from the bush blueberries. Open for the u-pick season beginning the first Wednesday in April for 5-6 weeks each year. Opens Wednesday, April 6, 2022 this year – check Facebook for hours.
Location: 1024 Macon Road, Winter Haven, Florida 33884
Lonesome Oak Blueberry Farm
This family-owned and operated blueberry farm in Winter Haven opens in early April for U-Pick Blueberries. Opens Saturday, April 2, 2022 this year – check Facebook for hours.
Location: 2851 Thornhill Road, Winter Haven, Florida 33880
S & S Micro Farm
Family owned blueberry farm located in East Bartow, near Alturas in Polk County, 25 min drive south of Winter Haven. Seasonal days and hours between mid-March thru the end of May, depending on weather and market conditions, check website or Facebook page for open days, hours and price per pound. You can also order pre-picked blueberries by phone or email. Opens Saturday, April 9, 2022 this year – check Facebook for hours.
Location: 8451 Sinkhole Road, Bartow, Florida 33830
Luna Berry Farms
Luna Berry Farms offers u-pick and we pick blueberries, plus in the past they’ve been known to have homemade blueberry ice cream, milkshakes, and blueberry cobbler. Opening April 7, 2022.
Location: 3132 K-Ville Avenue, Auburndale, Florida 33823
Oponay Farms is open seasonally for U-Pick blueberries and peaches, plus veggies. Check Facebook for current U-pick operations, hours, and prices. Two locations off Hwy 98 and 540A (Across from Catfish Country), check recent posts for picking location. Opening April 9, 2022.
5129 Hancock Lake Road, Lakeland, Florida 33812
James Farm Blueberries
James Farm offers high quality pre-picked and U-Pick blueberries. They also occasionally sell blueberry plants. Blueberry picking season typically begins in mid-April. They offer pre-picked berries for pick up starting April 8, first U-Pick April 23, 2022.
Location: 1894 EF Griffin Road, Bartow, Florida 33830
Late Bloom Blueberry Farm
Family owned blueberry farm located in Haines City offering pre-picked buckets and U-Pick, typically opens in mid-April. Open starting April 20, 2022.
Location: 115 Scenic Highway, Haines City, Florida 33844
Whispering Hearts Family Farm
Family owned and operated Blueberry Farm located in Polk City, Florida. Open for U-Pick starting April 23, 2022, check Facebook for dates.
Location: 15530 Brahma Rd, Polk City, FL 33868
Keel & Curley Winery at Keel Farms
Located in eastern Hillsborough county just East of Tampa, Florida, Keel & Curley Winery has been producing some of Florida’s #1 wines since 2003. Also offers a variety of special events and U-Pick seasons. Hosting the 2022 Tampa Bay Blueberry Festivals April 8-10 and 15-16 with 100+ food and craft vendors, live music, a kids area, u-pick blueberries, and wines, beers, and ciders (tickets required). After April 16 they will be open daily for u-pick blueberries.
Location: 5210 Thonotosassa Road, Plant City, Florida 33565
Keel Farms Facebook
True Blue Winery & Blueberry Picking
Winery and Wine Bar in Polk County serving delicious homemade Blueberry and other Fruit wines, beer and Bistro menu. Seasonal U-Pick Blueberries starting April 4, 2022.
Location: 604 Pink Apartment Road, Davenport, Florida 33837
Blues Berry Farm
Blues Berry Farm is open for blueberry picking in Plant City in late April / early May each year. Opening April 28, 2022 – scheduling one day at a time, check FB for updates.
Location: 1201 Holloway Road, Plant City, Florida 33567
The Berry Patch
The Berry Patch is a locally owned and operated blueberry farm, located near Bartow in Alturas, Florida.
Location: 4400 Walker Lake Road Bartow, FL 33830
Southern Hill Farm
Blueberries, peaches, strawberries, sunflowers and zinnias are available for spring U-Pick at Southern Hill Farm. Although it is a little bit of a drive from Lakeland (the furthest on our list), we include it because you can typically pick more than one crop AND they have spring and fall festivals. Blueberry picking begins March 15, 2022 – check Facebook or the website for hours.
Location: 16651 Schofield Road, Clermont, Florida 34714 (map it out first – it is 1+ hours from Lakeland)
Website | Facebook
Shady Oak Blueberry Farm
This is a favorite spot for Lakeland blueberries! In 2022, Shady Oak will only be open for curbside blueberry pick up orders. They will not be open for u-pick blueberries.
Location: 3320 Shady Oak Drive East, Lakeland, Florida 33810
Blueberry Farms Opening in 2022 – Check Back for Opening Dates
Parish Family Farm
This family owned blueberry farm offers U-Pick Blueberries at the end of their commercial season.
Location: 100 Mitchell Road, Eagle Lake, Florida 33839
Ridge Island Groves
Ridge Island Grove is home to fresh citrus, fresh produce, marmalades, honey, jelly, and fresh squeezed orange juice. They offer u-pick oranges, u-pick blueberries, u-pick peaches, plus food trucks and other events at their market. Open daily from 9am -5pm, closed Sunday. (Check Facebook for current produce)
Location: 6000 Polk City Road, Haines City, Florida 33844
Blueberry Farms – No Updates Yet for 2022
Central Florida Blueberries
This blueberry farm in Auburndale, FL offers pre-picked and pick your own blueberries.
Location: 3650 U.S. 92, Auburndale, Florida 33823
Thomas Farms has 4 acres of blueberries in Winter Haven. Open for U-Pick each year, typically in April.
Location: 2035 Gerber Dairy Rd Winter Haven, FL 33880
Blueberry Farms – Not Open in 2022
Kirkland Farms Blueberries
Kirkland Farms Blueberry Farm is located in the heart of the Medulla community just south of the Lakeland Linder Airport at the corner of Waring Rd and Old Medulla Road. Although it is our favorite place for Lakeland berries, we confirmed that Kirkland Farms will not be open for pick your own blueberries in 2022.
Location: 2632 Old Medulla Road, Lakeland, Florida 33811
Blueberry Picking Tips
- Check the Farm’s website or Facebook page the day before or day of your visit to confirm hours.
- Be respectful! Don’t cut through the rows or damage the blueberry bushes. The farm you are on provides an income for another family, treat it as you would want someone to treat your workplace.
- Dress comfortably with closed toe shoes. You WILL be walking in dirt and you will get dirty!
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen – fields are in the sun. Light colored clothing is best.
- Pick early in the morning when it is still cool.
- Bring your own container. Some fields do not keep containers on site.
- Take CASH!! Many fields only accept cash.
- Keep in mind these are working farms, so there will be ants, bees, etc. If you or your children have allergies, take precautions.
- Select only firm ripe BLUE berries and be careful not to remove the tops of the berries when picking them off the bush. Red/purple/green berries are not ripe and will likely be SOUR.
- Berries need to be kept cool once picked, plan your day accordingly or bring ice if you aren’t taking them home immediately.
- Ask questions – Florida’s blueberry farmers love to tell you about how they grow blueberries in Florida and the differences in tasty blueberry variety like arcadia, emerald, southern highbush, and others.
- Say thank you! Growing blueberries on Florida’s blueberry farms is hard work, be sure to thank a Blueberry grower for opening up their fields.
Tips for Storing Blueberries
- Once picked, don’t place the berries, still warm from the sun, in a closed bag or container. Leave the container open so moisture doesn’t form in the container.
- Don’t wash berries until just before using, to prevent berries from becoming mushy.
- Chill berries soon after picking to increase shelf life. Store your fresh blueberries in the refrigerator as soon as you get them home, without washing them, in a covered bowl or storage container. If refrigerated, fresh-picked blueberries will keep 10 to 14 days.
- Freeze berries in freezer containers without washing to keep the skins from toughening. Place berries one layer deep. Freeze, then pour the frozen berries into freezer containers. Because unwashed blueberries freeze individually, they can be easily poured from containers in desired amounts. Remember both frozen and fresh berries should be rinsed and drained just before serving. Just before using, wash the berries in cold water.
Map – Find Blueberry Picking Near You
Blueberry Farms Near You
More U-Pick Farms + Farmers Markets
Spring Activities Guide
Check out our full Spring Activities Guide for more things to do in Lakeland, Polk County, and Central Florida from January – May.