How great is it that we live right next door to the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World – Plant City, Florida! That means we have an abundance of Plant City Strawberries and U-Pick Strawberry farms within an hour’s drive. Strawberry picking in Florida is a GREAT family activity to do with kids. The berries grow in raised beds on the ground (unless they are hydroponic) so they are easy for kids to reach.
We try to go strawberry picking in the Tampa Bay/Lakeland/Plant City area every year. Strawberry season in Florida typically runs from December – March, with the Plant City Strawberry Festival as the annual celebration of all things berry!
Don’t miss our Strawberry Picking Tips at the bottom of this post, and check out our Blueberry and Peach U-pick Guides, as well as a list of Sunflower Farms. If you’re looking for fresh produce, there are also numerous Farmers Markets happening weekly around Polk County, you can find them all in our Farmers Market Guide.
- We will do our best to keep an updated list below of who is currently open, however we cannot begin to keep track of ever-changing U-Pick days/hours so a website and/or Facebook page is included for each farm so you can check yourself when you plan to go. (Facebook is typically the best source for updated info)
- There are some farms open all season for you pick strawberries (December – April)
- Many farms will not open for u-pick season until their commercial season ends, which is typically in March and is dependent on the weather.
- Be sure to pull up the address before you make plans, some of these Strawberry farms in Florida are a 1+ hour drive from Lakeland and Polk County.
Jump to: Map – Strawberry Picking Near Me
UPDATE WEDNESDAY- 3/31/21
Strawberry U-Pick Season is winding down, be sure to check directly with these farms for daily updates!
Strawberry Fields currently open – check Website/Facebook links for dates/times:
- 5K Farms Organic UPick (opens April 10)
- Keel & Curley (ends April 3)
- JG Ranch
- Mick Farms
- Pappy’s U-Pick (ends early April)
- Strawberry Passion Organics
Unsure / No Recent Updates:
- Hunsader Farms (other U-Pick available year round)
U-Pick Ended for 2021:
- Center Hill Farm
- Fancy Farms (Strawberry Market is open)
- Favorite Farms (prepicked berries available)
- Oak Haven Farms & Winery
- Southern Hill Farms (blueberries and sunflowers)
- Spivey Farms
We update this section every 1-2 weeks – check links to each farm for the most up-to-date info.
Strawberry Picking in Plant City + Central FL
Just South of Lake Nona, Mick Farms is home to 32 acres located in St. Cloud. Check out their selection of home grown seasonal produce, homemade pickles and assorted canned goods, plants and farm stand t-shirts. Specializing also in sunflowers, u-pick pumpkin patch and u-pick strawberries.
On our one hundred twenty acre farm crops include blueberries, peaches, strawberries, sunflowers and zinnias. Visit this local farm for Spring U-Pick and Fall Festival events.
Map of Strawberry Farms in Plant City + Central Florida
U Pick Strawberry Farms Near Me – U Pick Strawberries Near Me – U Pick Strawberries Plant City
Strawberry Picking Tips
- Check the local Farm’s website or Facebook page the day before or day of your visit to confirm hours for picking berries.
- Pick early in the morning when it is still cool.
- Dress comfortably with closed toe shoes. You WILL be walking in dirt and you will get dirty!
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen – fields are in the sun. Light colored clothing is best.
- Bring your own container, not too deep. Many fields do not keep containers on site.
- Take CASH!! Many u-pick farms only accept cash.
- Strawberries do NOT ripen once picked, so be sure to select firm, ripe berries, and pick them with the leafy green top ON.
- Check under leaves as some of the best berries are hiding there.
- Berries need to be kept cool once picked, plan your day accordingly or bring ice if you aren’t taking them home immediately.
- If berries are not used immediately, refrigerate and loosely cover with paper towel or plastic wrap. Do not wash or cut tops until ready to use.
- Although Plant City Florida Strawberries are the most “famous,” there are still plenty of great places to go Strawberry Picking in Florida that might be closer to you.
If you LOVE all things strawberry, don’t miss the Florida Strawberry Festival happening March 4 – 14, 2021 in Plant City.
Know of a Plant City Florida Strawberry Farm or other places for Strawberry Picking in Florida that is offering U-Pick hours? Contact us and we’ll add them to our list.
More U-Pick Farms + Farmers Markets
Spring Activities Guide
Check out our full Spring Activities Guide for more things to do in Lakeland, Polk County, and Central Florida from January – May.