We know all of our fellow Lakeland Moms love to find unique gifts for Lakeland Dads, and we’re here to help you think of the perfect gift for the sports enthusiast, outdoorsman, daredevil, or music loving guy in your life. We’re big on “experience gifts” that give dad an adventure to remember.
We’ve also got a list of activities if you’re looking for something to do Father’s Day weekend (June 21, 2020), including places offering free admission or free food deals just for dad!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means we a small commission if you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Thank you for supporting Lakeland Mom!
Father’s Day Weekend Freebies & Deals
- Family Fun Center – Dads get a FREE round of mini-golf on Father’s Day. Challenge the family to a mini-golf competition or a lazer tag battle.
- All of the other attractions offering discounts in previous years don’t seem to have those offers for 2020. If you know of a Father’s Day freebie – contact us to let us know!
Things to do with Dad
- Elite Cable Park – Spend a day on the water learning to wakeboard or improving your shredding skills. ECP is located in Auburndale.
- Safari Wilderness Ranch – Take dad on a Drive-Thru Safari right here in Lakeland. Check out our recent post to learn more.
- Batting cages – get a hit at at the Batters Box. (Off the Wall’s cages are permanently closed)
- Paint Ball – Head to Off the Wall Adventures in Lakeland or Action Paint Ball in Winter Haven. Check for current Groupon Deals.
- Ice Cream – Take dad for a ice cream or dessert at one of the 20+ places listed in our Guide to Sweet Eats & Frozen Treats!
- Silvermoon Drive-In – Catch a classic movie at our local drive-in theater
- Circle B Bar Reserve – Plan a picnic and a nature hike! Be sure you pack a tablecloth, napkins/paper towels, utensils, food, drinks, and wear walking shoes to explore the trails after you eat.
- Colt Creek State Park – Hike, bike, picnic, canoe, kayak, or fish at in the heart of the Green Swamp Wilderness area north of Lakeland. In this 5,067-acre state park, you’ll find hiking trails, biking trails, picnic pavilions, and two lakes for canoeing, kayaking and fishing. Canoes and Kayaks can be rented from the park ranger station and launched at Mac Lake. The first two hours are $8.00 then an additional $3.00 (plus tax) for every hour after. To enter the park there is a $4 charge per vehicle.
- Bike Ride – check out the Fort Fraser Trail, Three Parks Trail, Auburndale-TECO Trail, Chain of Lakes Trail, or Van Fleet State Trail.
- Bowling – Pick up a Groupon for AMF Lanes in Lakeland. Cypress Lanes in Winter Haven and Orange Bowl Lanes in Lakeland are other local options.
- River Ranch Rodeo – Got a cowboy at heart? Make a family trip out to the rodeo on Saturday night.
- Outdoor Day Trip – Take dad swimming, tubing, hiking, kayaking, or canoeing. Central Florida favorites include:
- I-Drive NASCAR Indoor Go-Kart Racing – snag a Groupon deal for the whole family (must be 55 inches tall to race)
- TopGolf is offering Father’s Day Packages – book in advance for Tampa or Orlando
- Bok Tower – Enjoy the outdoors and daily carillon concerts, along with Hammock Hollow Children’s Garden.
- See if your family can escape at Escapology Lakeland or Lakeland Escape Room
- Other open attractions in Tampa include Dinosaur World, The Florida Aquarium, MOSI (Museum of Science & Industry), and Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park
- Local breakfast treats can be found at Charlie’s Mini Donuts, Hole in One Donuts, 801 E Main, Uncle Nick’s Bagels, Reececliff, and Fat Jack’s.
- Head downtown for lunch or dinner – Federal Bar, Terrace Grill, Fresco’s, The Purple Onion, Black & Brew, or Mitchells are all great choices.
- Eat local at Cafe Zuppina, Masons Live, or Swan Brewing
- In the mood for Italian? Scarpa’s Italian or Il Forno are our favorites.
The Sports Enthusiast
- Fanatics – Check out the selection of Father’s Day Gifts – you’re sure to find something with his favorite sports team.
- Paddleboard Winter Haven – Book a paddleboarding trip on the Chain of Lakes. They offer lessons and tours from beginners, to advanced paddleboarders, families, and fitness enthusiasts.
- Airboat Tours – Have a real Florida adventure and view native wildlife on an airboat tour. There are multiple companies offering tours in Polk County, including Alligator Cove, Alligators Unlimited, Captain Fred’s, Grape Hammock Fish Camp, and Camp Mack. Most tours allow children of all ages, certain ages require an adult. Every child is different, and airboats are LOUD, so use your own discretion.
- Charter Fishing Trip – Book a day out of Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg or Anna Maria Island. While we don’t have anyone specific to recommend, we’ve included links to reviews and contact information on Trip Advisor.
Other Gift Ideas
- Head to Lakeside Village for a wide selection of gifts from shops including Bed Bath & Beyond, Belk, Books-A-Million, FITniche, GameStop, Golf, Etc., Jos A. Bank, Sunglass Hut and more.
- Arrange to have his car washed or detailed
- Downtown Farmers Curb Market – Find homemade items and local goods on Saturday morning.
- Board Games – Surprise dad with games he’ll enjoy playing, and maybe even a few throwbacks from his childhood. Favorites at my house include:
- Ice cream maker – get a gift the whole family can enjoy for the summer!
- Lottery ticket bouquet – Does dad love scratch off tickets? Make him a bouquet (click to see photo).
- Candy Messages – Create a fun candy filled message, plenty of examples can be found on our Father’s Day Pinterest board.
- Quiz about dad – Have the kids fill out a quiz and print it out for him.
- Whiskey Bent BBQ Supply is the perfect place to find a gift for the dad who loves to grill. Find a pre-made basket of rubs, sauces, and grilling items. Or purchase a gift card and let dad go pick out what he needs.
- What I Love about Dad Fill In The Blank Journal – Give him an entire book completed by the kids
- For the avid reader, give a subscription to Kindle Unlimited – dad can enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million titles & thousands of audiobooks on any device. The best part is you get a 1 month trial to start with to be sure he likes it!
- Does he prefer audiobooks? Sign dad up for Audible – also comes with a FREE 1 month trial.