Do you ever find yourself trying to think of something to do or somewhere to go but are overwhelmed by all the options? Or maybe your brain is done for the day (sometimes before lunch and that’s totally ok) and you can’t even think of ideas?
I’m the kind of girl that likes to know ALL.THE.OPTIONS but then I get overwhelmed trying to narrow them down. Sometimes scanning through a short list helps me do a quick “yes, no, maybe” to focus in on just a few good choices for things my family will enjoy.
I know the Lakeland Mom website is jam-packed with info and it can be hard to navigate through the abundance of ideas for things to do in Lakeland, Polk County, and Central Florida with kids. Sometimes you just need a master list of ideas to get you started. No details, no addresses, just a list.
Below you’ll find exactly that – a minimal list of ideas for things to do near you.
Each item listed has a link to the details you need once you narrow down the choices. In an effort to help just a tad bit, they are separated by indoors vs. outdoors, and free vs. not free, plus a section just for day trips and bigger adventures. Most of the activities listed below can be done anytime the business, park, or playground is open – they don’t require you to look for special events.
TIP: (I promised a list without tips but I’m going to give one anyways!) Think first about your parameters and name what matters – do you want to be indoors or outdoors, how much time do you have, how much money do you want to spend, etc. – and then narrow down the list.
Keep this list handy when for the next time you think “what should we do today?” and need some inspiration!
FREE INDOOR FUN
MORE THINGS TO DO INDOORS
- Family Fun Center – Arcade Games, Laser Tag, Indoor Playground
- Movies Theaters
- Florida Air Museum, Science on a Sphere, + Aerospace Center for Excellence
- Florida Children’s Museum (formerly Explorations V Children’s Museum – located at Bonnet Springs Park)
- Trampoline Park – Urban Air or Defy
- Bowling (Check out Kids Bowl Free)
- Roller Skating at Skate World (Check out Kids Skate Free)
- Ice Skating at Lakeland Ice Arena
- Indoor Batting Cages
- Indoor Archery
- Paint Pottery + Make Mosaics
- Sports Simulators at The Back Nine
- Ax Throwing at Ax Caliber
- Lunch at a Tea Room
FREE OUTDOOR FUN
- Bonnet Springs Park
- Splash Pads
- Paved Walking Trails
- Bike Trails
- Hiking Trails
- Circle B Bar Reserve
- Mural Scavenger Hunt
- Go on a Picnic
- Play soccer, frisbee, or fly a kite in a huge field
- Frisbee Golf (be sure everyone has their own frisbee)
- Mulberry Phosphate Museum Shark Tooth Dig Pile
- Hollis Garden
- Dog Parks
- Little Free Libraries
- Water Ski Shows (select weekends)